Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, November 09, 2003

    Paul Auster's novel "The Book of Illusions" motivated me to search out information about something I hadn't thought of in a while. The novel's main character unearths details about a forgotten (fictitious?) silent film actor. As I finished the book, I was listening to a few CDs on the now-defunct music label Em:t. I wanted to find out if anything ever came of the British label after its parent company T:me went bankrupt in 1998.

    Em:t released a handful of elusive artists focused on ambient music back in the nineties. Each CD was packaged with a colorful photo of an endangered species on the cover which gave the label a cohesive feel. My friends and I scooped up many of these releases, knowing they were limited and *good*, while at college. Unfortunately, the CDs are all but impossible to find now. However a quick search uncovered www.emit.cc dedicated to the old label, including information about each artist, a streaming radio where you can listen to a mix of the old Em:t material, and a link to the new Em:t records site which is apparently preparing to release new albums. Go figure?