Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 20, 2004

    After all this *is* Nervous Music, isn't it?

    To ensure we're staying on topic I feel compelled every so often to mention music here. I may not possess the eloquence to use Nervous Music as a site to host album reviews. (There are enough of those out there anyway.) Instead I opt to post flotsam and/or jetsam that I find amusing, enlightening, and just plain silly. But yeah, you know that already.

    What you may not know is the etymology of Nervous Music. My friend Natalie once observed that Steve Reich's Music For 18 Musicians sounded like "nervous music" to her. I feel that a good percentage of my collection could be easily described as that. *Sigh* That's a shame. But that's the story.

    I may never be successful in explaining why I like the music I like. But perhaps Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music can shed a little light on what nervous music can entail. At the very least, you can listen to short samples of electronic music. Some of the sub-genre names are goofy and probably invented by the site's creator, but it's still an interesting take on the origins of electronic music.