Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, March 30, 2004

    A more pleasant Tofu FoYou

    It's not quite a recipe, per se, but if you enjoy the many guises of tofu, then this tip may be of some interest to you. I stirfry with firm/extra firm tofu at least twice weekly, and I recently discovered a better way to prepare the tofu before cooking. 30 minutes before you cook, slice the tofu block into 4 slabs, each one inch thick. Lay down the slabs side-by-side on a sturdy paper towel ensuring that the pieces don't touch each other. Wrap with additional paper towels and put on a plate so you don't get water everywhere. Place another plate (or cutting board) on top of the wrapped tofu and apply pressure by resting a jar of pasta sauce or can of beans or a spool of 50 blank CDs on the top plate.

    30 minutes later you'll have a very wet pile of paper towels, but a much lighter tofu with less moisture. As a result, the cooked tofu will be less dense and will usually brown much better.

    So enjoy some delicious tofu tonight. Or do like me and eat leftover chinese food and a handful of Cadbury Mini-Eggs.