Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 01, 2004

    In a skronk state of mind

    The Sundance Channel was playing Downtown 81 (or New York Beat Movie) this morning as I was getting ready for work. I caught the first 20 minutes and wasn't terribly impressed (neither was FilmCritic.com). However I'm sure if I didn't have to get on the road, I would've kept watching as I found it oddly compelling.

    It's funny how hearing a snippet of music can totally get you in a particular music mood. Early scenes show a carefree Basquiat wandering the streets of Manhattan, passing the Guggenheim as he plays his clarinet. See? Not making movie history, but oddly compelling -- like a grainy PBS documentary. As he strolls past graffiti, the Lounge Lizards' "Bob the Bob" leaks onto the film score.

    That got me hooked. It's been months since I last heard Voice of Chunk by the Lounge Lizards. So I listened to it all the way to work. Now I'm itching to hear more No Wave Lower East Side free jazz/avant-garde skronk today. And that means ridiculous artists like John Zorn. How much of this can you really listen to, though, before you're back to Patsy Cline and Bobby Vinton?