Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 14, 2004

    Why cous cous when you can quinoa?

    I learned about a new food this weekend: Quinoa. Pronounced keen-wah, it was a staple of the ancient Incas, who called it "the mother grain." We ate quinoa alongside pan-fried scallops, and it was an excellent combination. If you're a fan of cous cous, but looking for something a little different, give quinoa a try.

    It cooks to a light fluffy texture as a band of external germ spirals around each grain. This may sound unsavory, but it's *good*. It has a unique texture because of the soft grain and crunchy germ. Quinoa's a hearty little sucker that packs a lot of protein. You'll wonder if it's the long lost cousin of cous cous or the doppelgänger of oatmeal.