Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 18, 2004

    The artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known As

    Prince is back. I think you hear him knocking, and I think he's coming in, and he's got a 3-hour live show, lots of purple-clad fans, a free CD at the door, umpteen costume changes, a really silly looking guitar, the New Power Generation backing band (with an outstanding drummer), a microphone shaped like a pistol, a mortarboard-wearing Maceo Parker, some crazy dance moves, and a boatload of his classic hits.

    The sold-out show last night at the Hartford Civic Center was fantastic. I mean, it's Prince. How could it not be fantastic? He's an icon -- and he had an icon for a name for a little while. I haven't been to a concert that size in a long time. The Civic Center was packed and the audience was a motley crew of fans ranging from early teens to early 60s.

    At times, the band was so musically tight and explosive, I thought I was watching James Brown's band on stage. At other times, Prince connected with the audience with a single purple guitar and a set of acoutic blues-funk covering his old hits in a strange, almost-stream-of-consciousness medley.

    The 46-year old can still jump around on stage like he's 20 and put on an action-packed entertaining show. He's a silly, silly man.