Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, August 12, 2004

    Birdie Num Num

    Occasionally I'll discover, while watching a movie, that I like the *idea* of the film more than the film itself. For example, I love The Party with Peter Sellers. Or, do I? I certainly love the *idea* of the film: A remarkable comedic actor bumbles his way through a 1960s swanky west coast cocktail party doused in neat visuals and great lounge music. I've seen it a few times, and each viewing I find that I was more excited about watching the movie than actually watching it. Does that make sense?

    On a related note, last night I watched Unknown Peter Sellers -- an hour-long documentary about the British man of many faces.

    Now here's something I didn't know. Director Stanley Kubrick filmed an additional ending sequence that didn't make it into Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. The final scene was to be a massive custard pie fight in the war room. What?!? Apparently the scene didn't make the final cut for two reasons: 1) The custard-covered actors were unrecognizable during the fight so you couldn't distinguish who was being hit, and 2) the sight of a U.S. President (one of three roles played by Sellers) smacked in the face wasn't appropriate to debut days after JFK's assassination.

    Anyway, that would explain the elaborate display of food in the war room near the end of the movie. Who knew?