Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 01, 2004

    An experiment with basil

    A repeat of November 1, we drove along the scenic coastal road of Route 146 yesterday. Zoomed through Branford, Guilford and Madison. Along the way, we ducked into some farmer's markets. Walked away with a suitcase-sized bag of basil for $5. (What are we going to do with this much basil?! Thankfully it keeps well in the freezer for months.)

    Motivated to create something new, I started experimenting with our fresh new herbs. I tried finding some easy recipes at places like Epicurious, but all called for more ingredients than we had. Not up for a Saturday night grocery run, I just worked with what was in our kitchen and soon I invented the Basil Boat.

    Stir chopped walnuts, salt and ground black pepper into a small bowl of non-fat cottage cheese. Then simply scoop small spoonfuls of the mixture onto a flattened basil leaf. You're done! Makes for a good healthy snack to accompany a cheese plate and fruit. And it pairs marvelously with Midnight Cellars' 2002 Full Moon Encore (60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon). Thank you to our friends Nate & Lauren for turning us on to this great California wine!