Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, September 17, 2004

    Windows security checklist

    Chris reminded me of a Windows security checklist that's been floating around the blogs lately. I haven't had the chance to investigate all of these products, but it seems that the list is being celebrated by heavy hitters like CNET and Slashdot.

    So I share that list with you now. I understand that the original posting of these tips on another blog has since disappeared. So here's to cleaning up your machine, and hoping that I don't get into too much trouble for republishing without permission.

    8 steps to better Windows security:

    1. Run Windows Update regularly.
    2. Install ZoneAlarm (Firewall)
    3. Buy and install NOD32 (Anti-Virus)
    4. Install WinPatrol (Anti-Hijack)
    5. Buy and install AdMuncher (Ad and Popup Blocker)
    6. Install and run AdAware (Anti-Spyware)
    7. Replace Internet Explorer and Outlook Express with Firefox & Thunderbird
    8. Disable Autorun.
    (9. Optional but recommended: Breathe a sigh of relief, then dance around your clean computer like a silly little monkey.)