Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, October 02, 2004

    How do you like dem apples

    This weekend West Haven is having their annual Apple Festival on the town green, a 30-second stroll from our home. I wandered over this morning and couldn't find an apple in sight (aside from a few caramel apples being sold at the concession stand). There were, however, dozens of craft tables, including a woman selling *diaper* cakes and *diaper* wreaths. Should I be concerned?

    The kids were having fun with the face painting and the moonwalk and the horsie rides. In one corner of the green, an intense auction was going on. I overheard the auctioneer trying to start a bid for a computer monitor at $1. From what I could tell, there were no takers. A few moments later I heard him say, "Now how about a starting bid of $2 for a set of these beautiful golf clubs?" ... silence ... "Allrighty then, let's say $1.50."

    No apples, but their farmer's market wasn't bad so I picked up a few things. Walking home, I stopped by Nick's Restaurant, a greasy spoon where you can get a large breakfast with coffee and OJ for $4. That's exactly what I did, and I was the only one who had to order food formally. Everyone else who walked through the door had their usual in front of them by the time they reached their seat.

    I saw a waitress rinse off a pacifier with Diet Coke for a colicky kid. The cook could've been a Frank Sinatra stunt double (read: same face, but slightly huskier). And I'm pretty sure I was sitting next to Deano.

    Sometimes Saturday morning just feels a bit like a David Lynch film.