Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, November 18, 2004

    I'm in awe of... an intersection?!

    There's a 4-way stop in Glastonbury smack-dab in the middle of the busiest area in town. I go through this intersection once in a while during my lunch break. Each time I'm amazed by how incredibly efficient this 4-way stop works. You'd think that the knee-jerk decision to control an extremely congested and fast-moving intersection would be to install the usual traffic signals. But the town opted for four stop signs instead.

    Despite the lunchtime traffic, I usually make it through the intersection quickly. Much faster than if I had to sit and wait at a red light. What makes this work so well? Of all the times I've passed through, other cars have always been cordial by waiting their turn, yet everyone makes it through in a matter of seconds. What's the magic behind this traffic phenomenon? And why don't more busy town centers turn to 4-way stops?