Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, November 01, 2004

    Tracks of the Week: Numbers

    Whitwerk "I Wanna Dance with Numbers" - Mash-ups as a musical genre really hit its stride about two years ago. Take two unrelated songs (in this case, Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and Kraftwerk's "Numbers") play them at the same time, and maybe change up the pitch a bit here and there so they fall in sync. For me, the mash-up revolution started here. My friend Steve in Portland, Oregon played the 12" for me while I laughed my butt off. Not available for purchase.

    Conet Project "Phonetic Alphabet Nato" - Mysterious radio communications continue to float around Europe and Asia. No one really knows for sure what these signals mean. Shortwave Numbers Stations are an engaging phenomenon; these stations transmit Morse signals; melodic fragments; strings of numbers (hence their nickname) spoken by male, female, and artificial voices; and other strange noises. This track may sound familiar if you've heard Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I heard a rumor that due to a copyright infringement lawsuit, the label Irdial Discs received enough funds to re-release this 4-CD set last summer. Buy It.