Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, December 10, 2004

    The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts.

    Tim Burton and Johnny Depp team up for the fifth time in a new Wonka movie called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" due out this July. The original Willy Wonka is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I've been anxious to catch a trailer of the new film. Now that I've seen it, I'm not sure what to think.

    Now I know that this is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory not Willy Wonka so one can only assume that the new storyline follows the original Roald Dahl book more closely. But I read that the screenwriter had never even seen the 1971 version when asked to write the script. Maybe that's why the new movie looks so darn campy?

    I'm sure it'll be interesting and good. After all, it's clear that Burton was the natural choice to make this film. But the real magic of the first movie comes from the subtle dark and subversive tendencies of Wonka's character. Now, granted, it was Wonka who said that "a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." So maybe that's why Depp looks so goofy in the trailer.

    I'm a little less excited now, but I know I'll go see it next year. Who knows? It's a distant seven months away from release and you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about.