Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, January 17, 2005

    10. Comets on Fire: Blue Cathedral

    This is fierce fiery rock. Who knew something like this would ever end up on the year-end list? Blue Cathedral is the band's third full-length, and from what I've heard, the most dynamic. I'm sure this has something to do with the addition of a second guitarist, Ben Chasney of Six Organs of Admittance. Actually, I like Six Organs' Dark Noontide quite a bit and that's what turned me on to Comets of Fire. But, yowsers, the two are sonically very different.

    If there's ever another Terrastock Festival, I'd love to see Six Organs of Admittance play on a lazy Sunday afternoon followed by Comets on Fire later that night -- they'd be a perfect closer, what with their sub-orbital freak-outs and sprawling interludes.

    This kind of music isn't usually my thing. Reviews of Blue Cathedral have been raising references of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Hawkwind, and Iron Butterfly. But somehow this album has made its way into heavy rotation of my gym routine. Rock on? Buy It.

    Comets on Fire "The Bee & the Crackin' Egg"