Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, January 27, 2005

    2. Animal Collective: Sung Tongs

    The New Yorker magazine classified Animal Collective as "folksy experimentalists" -- they're way too weird to stop there though. I picked up Sung Tongs early in the year and I knew that it would fall near the top of my list for the year. I love Here Comes the Indian from 2003 but the two-man Animal Collective really hit their stride on this poppier (?!?) album.

    Listening to Sung Tongs you get the feeling you accidentally stumbled upon a late-night ritual deep in the woods of another world. There's happy chanting, delirious drumming, and bizarre instrumentation. Think Brian Wilson collaborating with woodland elves and you're kinda there. This is not psychedelia. This is not indie rock. This is just weird and beautiful. Buy It.

    Animal Collective "Who Could Win a Rabbit"

    [UPDATE: Crazy minds think alike. Tim posted this same exact song last night. Oh well. Download both so you'll have a matching pair.]