Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, January 26, 2005

    3. The Arcade Fire: Funeral

    Fans of indie rock juggernaut Pitchforkmedia.com may be letting out a collective sigh of disappointment right about now. I know, yes, this is on most everyone's year-end list. But it's a good album. Wait... actually, it's a *great* album. Would it have become so popular without the lift of GlitchPork? I don't know. Maybe not.

    But I have to think this would've become a big album at some point. Yes some say they could be simmered down to Broken Social Scene + The Pixies + The Talking Heads, but there's more to hear with repeated listens. It's an emotionally draining set of songs from a Montreal couple who lost members of their family during recording. The tone of the album is anthemic. The songs are just absolutely bursting with raw emotion.

    This is most evident in "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" -- the most rockin' track on the record. This is one of those songs that goes beyond "a good driving song." It actually makes you want to blast off into outer space with your Corolla. Or better yet, it makes you want to run through the streets peeing your pants. Buy It.

    The Arcade Fire "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"