Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 25, 2005

    4. Dungen: Ta Det Lugnt

    In the age of the mp3, I find myself consistently taking more risks when giving new music a listen. I've always tended to stay the course, discover a particular genre I dig, and then go with that until I'm blue in the ears. Case in point, the "micro-house" phenomenon that's been brewing for the last several years. Take a look at my last two "Top Ten/Twelve" lists and you'll see what I mean.

    Lately, however, I'm broadening the scope of my collection, and one of the most recent out-there additions is Dungen's Ta Det Lugnt. Late 60s acid rock? Early 70s Swedish psychedelia? That's what it sounds like, but it's an album from 2004 by an unassisted 24-year old. And, in terms of production, it's the lushest release on this list.

    Hearing the Swedish lyrics (and not understanding a bit of them) takes me back to my foreign exchange experience in high school. I remember really getting into a sub-par French band called Noir Desir. Looking back, the music was not very good, but the idea of listening to something I couldn't understand had a certain mystery to it that I was drawn to.

    I bet my host student felt the same way as we zipped along the mountain roads of Annecy while blaring The Pixies' Doolittle. I'm sure he had no clue what Black Francis was shouting about. Except for maybe that bit about un chien Andalusia. Buy It.

    Dungen "Panda"