Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, January 24, 2005

    5. Joanna Newsom: Milk-Eyed Mender

    Joanna Newsom's album is enchanting and I loved seeing her live earlier this year. If you can get past the sometimes shrill nature of her voice, you have a lot to get into here. Her harp playing is mesmerizing. And who learns to play the harp these days? I mean, really??

    This is one of those albums I find very difficult to classify. You may need a high threshold for the absurd. Maybe that's one of the reasons I listened to it so much this year. There's really not much else out there like this. If I casually overheard this somewhere, I'd probably not get into it very much. But when I really listen, it's easy to detect flashes of brilliance even though I'm never really sure what she's singing about.

    Having said that, Boston's The Weekly Dig once called her a "retarded sprite." And I'd have to agree. Buy It.

    Joanna Newsom "The Book of Right-On"