Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 21, 2005

    6. The Album Leaf: In A Safe Place

    Over the last several years, Iceland has had quite an impact on the music industry. You have Bjork, Sigor Rós, and Múm to name a few. So, if you dug a hole straight down from Reykjavik, would you end up in San Diego? I suppose only a spelunker would know for sure.

    Jimmy LaValle (AKA The Album Leaf) hails from San Diego, but considering the help he gets from his buddies in Sigor Rós and Múm you'd think In A Safe Place is another Icelandic export. I reach for this album when I'm in the mood to get some work done. Although it has some intricate melodies, it makes for nice ambient background music too. It's very pretty without being overly cloying.

    Songs float by unnoticed sometimes, and I find myself reaching to start it over again. A few of the songs (especially the ones with vocals) can stand on their own as solid efforts. But I find the real success of the album lies in its tendency to just exist as a collection of gently floating, cozy melodies. Buy It.

    The Album Leaf "Over the Pond"