Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 14, 2005

    Tracks of the Week: Lawrence

    Lawrence "Untitled Track 7" - This week you're getting two tracks from the same artist. Lawrence (my Dad's name!) is actually Peter Kersten, a criminally overlooked and underappreciated electronic music producer from Germany. Where many artists fall into the trap of repeating the same 4/4 beats over and over ad nauseaum, Lawrence evolves his rhythms as they lurch forward with twisted melodies and a solid sense of drum programming. Maybe he's the Underworld of microhouse? His music can feel claustrophobic and even downright gloomy at times, but every track on his 2002 self-titled debut is a stunning addition to the tech-house genre. Buy It.

    Lawrence "Fifteen Minutes with You" - I was very impressed with his debut, but Lawrence's 2003 release The Absence of Blight simply blew me away. Building on earlier themes, his most recent album opens up his sound more, occassionally letting in splashes of sunlight and warmth. Kersten continues to dwell in chilling atmospherics and dark rhythms, but this album is a little more accomplished, including a live string arrangement. I can't wait to see what this guy releases next. Buy It.