Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, June 24, 2005

    Drag and drop like a big kid

    I think I've mentioned AJAX here before. It stands for Asynchronous Javascript And XML. Big *yawn* I know. It's a web technology that's been around for a while, but it's finally making a splash. In short, it allows you to do roundtrips to a website's database without the constant need for refreshing. For a sample, use Google Maps. See how slick it loads when you enter an address? That's XMLHTTP at work. It's all over the place in 37signals' products like Basecamp, Ta-Da Lists and Backpack too.

    More and more developers are getting excited about the possibilities of AJAX and how it can improve an online experience. I'm setting some goals now for a website relaunch at work, and I'm thinking of injecting some of this cool new (standards compliant!) technology into the project.

    If you're a fan of Transmit, the FTP client by Panic, then you've seen this sort of thing before. But check out script.aculo.us. It's a cinch to begin working with its Prototype Javascript library and you can start building drag and drop widgets in no time.

    I can certainly see this being overused like other hip technologies (e.g., I'm not a big fan of Flash when it's used for navigation). I would want to find a legitimate use for it rather than pulling a "see what I can do" stunt. However I feel there's some real substance to all of this and it's going to play a substantial role on websites for years to come. I really need to redesign our customer accounts and I can see AJAX playing a role in the project. If you've seen other cool applications of AJAX, let me know!