Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, July 07, 2005

    Jazz. Holy crap!

    Sometimes I get on some crazy music kicks. It's like I get stuck in this fabulous rut of listening to the same artist for days at a time. My current rut is with Dave Holland, who could very well be the hardest working musician in the jazz world these days. (OK, I guess you could argue Wynton Marsalis too.)

    I have a handful of Dave Holland's albums, mostly the more recent stuff since the late 90s, and it's all absolutely wonderful. Tim recommended Holland's double live Extended Play: Live at Birdland and I'm glad he did because it blew me away.

    I just love the reviews this album gets on Amazon. Check out the titles of the reviews: "One of the greatest live recordings ever. Period.", "Staring In Disbelief At Your Stereo", and my personal favorite: "holy crap!"

    You may not be a fan of jazz, but you gotta check this stuff out. This track isn't from the double live album. It's from his newest release Overtime -- another one of his big band outings. Fabulous!

    Bonus Track of the Week: Dave Holland Quintet "Ario"