Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, December 05, 2005

    Tracks of the Week: Closer

    Closer Musik "Departures" - I just discovered this 2002 album last week. It's wonderful. Apparently it was one of the first big albums on the German electronic label Kompakt, but got the re-release treatment recently. Half of the tracks feature the vocal stylings of Matias Aguayo who, as All Music puts it, sounds as if he recorded his takes "while preening in front of a mirror." A little silly, yes. Tongue in cheek, most definitely. But certainly worth a listen if you like your slithering sleazy techno mixed with melodic tech-house. Hmm...going on four years old now. How'd I miss this one? Buy It.

    Hood "The Negatives" - 2005 saw the release of another quality Hood album: Outside Closer. This time around their lo-fi sound seems a little less, well, lo-fi. This track in particular sets aside the glitchy ambience and echoey effects and delivers a riveting opener to the album. I've been told their live shows are solid, especially the talent of their drummer. Based on their last two records, Hood has cemented a place in that short list of "blindly-buying-their-new-one" because these boys from Leeds seem to do no wrong. Buy It.