Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, March 04, 2006

    Pivot!

    Pivot tables in Excel are fun. Drag 'n drop and see what happens. I do my best to keep an updated inventory of my music collection in Excel. Maybe someday I might spring for something like Delicious Library. But for now I'm just keeping my homegrown list in my fancy-dan spreadsheet.

    I'm not sure what this says about me, but a quick pivot table by music label shows how many records were released on each label. Here's what rose to the top ten of the list.

    Blue Note - 65
    Thrill Jockey - 41
    Warp - 40
    Kranky - 35
    Matador - 32
    Columbia - 29
    Elektra - 29
    Astralwerks - 23
    Island - 22
    Ninja Tune - 22

    Blowing away the competition at 65 records is the jazz label Blue Note. I suppose that's not terribly surprising. But after that you've got a healthy mix of indie labels and electronic music labels. The one question mark is the Columbia label, though. Most of Miles Davis' catalog was released on Columbia. But 29?! I have to do some detective work and figure out why that number's so high. I should also stop acquiring music. Yes, yes I should.