Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 12, 2006

    Wanna gota Boolmoose?

    We just returned from a wonderfully relaxing weekend in Ogunquit. Maine - the way life should be. Thank you so much Chris and Emily! The Gazebo Inn is fantastic and it's amazing how close it is to Boston (just a mere 70 miles). Every weekend should be like this one.

    On the way home, we turned off at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Thanks to a recommendation from Meg, we knew we had to check it out the next time we passed by. Another great little town. Tons of great stores to browse on a lazy Sunday. Great food, great coffeeshops, and to my excitement: A Bull Moose Music. In college, Bull Moose was a regular hangout each weekend. We'd flip through the rows and rows and racks and racks of new and used music. Their tendency to stock hard-to-find independent stuff was a huge draw for me as I coped with the frozen tundra of Lewiston.

    It's been a few years since I last set foot into a Bull Moose. So finding one today was a fun treat. And what I found inside was probably the greatest deal I've ever scooped up in all my years of music addiction.

    I've had my eye on a massive box set of Albert Ayler's jazz from the sixties called Holy Ghost on Revenant Records. It's been on my Amazon wishlist since, well, October 11, 2004. But I never broke down to dish out the $120 for it. Granted, 9 discs will set you back no matter what's on them (techicanally 10 - the tenth is an eight-minute CD of music when Ayler performed with the U.S. Army Marching Band). But this gorgeous "spirit box" of goodies comes with a 200+ page booklet, a crushed flower, photos, postcards, show flyers, and of course more Albert Ayler on CD than anyone would ever want. If you'd like to hear some excerpts, you can grab a few mp3s on the label's website.

    I've seen the limited edition box set (how could you miss it?) at Newbury Comics and Twisted Village. Picked it up, put it down, picked it up, and put it down again. I could never quite bear to part with all that money for all that jazz. I love Ayler, but not that much. Until I found the deal of a lifetime today. Instead of $120, Bull Moose had it brand new for just $78. A good deal, right? Well, not as good as that marvelous 50% off sticker plastered to it. So I just acquired I don't know how many hours of new challenging jazz for 39 bucks. I'm as happy as a jazz-lovin' clam.