Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, March 03, 2007

    What I've been diggin': The almighty five things

    I'm finding myself blogging less and less these days because 1) I don't have the time, and 2) most of what I'm finding that's interesting is showing up on my del.icio.us list. But every now and then I think about what I've been digging and then lists emerge. Like this one.

    L.L. Bean Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer: This was a Christmas gift from my parents and I love it. It's the bee's knees, as they say. Each morning now, as I stroll into the kitchen I can catch a glimpse at the time, the indoor temp and the outdoor temp. OK, so that's nothing revolutionary. But did I mention that it measures to a tenth of a degree and it's devilishly stylish? Hey, if I don't have to peer out a frosted window in hopes of catching the mercury level that's probably covered in snow anyway, I'm happy.

    IZZE Sparkling Juice: Call it what you will - a refreshing, healthy beverage or Red Bull for wussies - but I like it. I just discovered 4-packs of the stuff at Target for $2 (on sale). There's no refined sugar, no caffeine, no artificial anything. Just fruit juice and sparkling water. I love the flavors they have, and I'm drinking a clementine one right now!

    The new Trans Am album: Trans Am formed in 1990 in Washington D.C. and some friends and I are big fans of their second album Surrender to the Night. It's a wonderfully schizophrenic mess of angular rock, sweeping synths, and playful instrumentals. Since then, the band really hasn't produced a gem like their sophomore effort. Over the last ten years, they've dug their heels into politically charged albums that had a few great tracks here and there, but mostly the albums were: meh. Their new release Sex Change, however, is a return to their roots. Does it trump Surrender to the Night? No. But see for yourself. It's a fun ride.

    Trans Am "North East Rising Sun" (mp3)
    Trans Am "4,738 Regrets" (mp3)

    Getting organized: Or more accurately, "getting things done" has kept me sane these days. Yes it's ultra-nerdy and I never subscribe to those "get fill-in-the-blank quick" schemes, but this one actually works and is quite adaptable to the geek lifestyle. So I've been getting all kinds of organized with my GTD books, Remember The Milk lists, Google Calendar, index cards, binder clips, plastic trays for In, Read/Review, and Next Actions, new Outlook folders like ".Next Actions" and ".Waiting For", manila folders, a hipsterPDA, and my trusty (and unabashedly geeky) label maker. All of these things equal a clearer head.

    New ways of keeping up with friends: Blogs, Gmail IM, Twitter, social networking sites like LinkedIn, feeds like Flickr photos, Last.fm, Amazon wishlists, ... It's all very wacky. I've caught up with friends in the most random of online places lately. I take a photo of ice fragments on the Charles with my phone and moments later it's on Flickr and a friend across the country comments on it. The strange thing is that this phenomenon is starting to feel natural.