Bringing you Nervous Music since October 2003

Archives

 



seanmcg's del.icio.us My del.icio.us

 


I am seanmcg on del.icio.us and you can add me to your network.

Listening

 

Muxtape 2

"When New York Was New York"






Get Songbird

Flickr-ing

 

A random selection from my archive:

Reading

 

Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives

 

My Wishlist

Moment of Zen

 

Moment of Zen (inspired by Tim's Koans)

Courtesy of Timmay


Blog posts are no longer happening here. Visit blog.nervousmusic.net for the latest updates.



    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, September 21, 2008

    Soup! (again)

    Has it really been over two months since I was last here? I guess things have been very busy for me lately. I just returned from a 10-day overseas work trip that took me to Luzern, Switzerland and Berlin. I arrived back in Boston to be greeted by the crisp, cool air that can only mean that autumn is upon us.

    I'm trying to shake my second cold of the season. This second one was probably mostly my fault from being out way past my bedtime last weekend at Maria am Ostbanhof. A fantastic night of live music, but I don't have the endurance for the late night shows like I once had.

    Now that I'm back, I think a good hearty soup is what I need to get back on track. So I think the menu tonight will include a new recipe. We'll see how it goes.

    Chickpea Tagine with Cinnamon, Cumin, and Carrots

    North African cooking often features cinnamon in both savory dishes and desserts. Carrots and raisins make this a slightly sweet stew that's best served with a dollop of sour Greek-style yogurt to complement the flavors.

    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
    2 14.5-oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
    ¼ cup dried currants
    1 tsp. ground tumeric
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
    2 tsp. honey
    ½ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
    3 Tbs. finely chopped parsley

    1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until onion slices are soft.
    2. Stir in chickpeas, carrots, currants, spices, honey, and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
    3. Divide tagine among 4 bowls. Garnish each serving with dollop of yogurt, and sprinkle with parsley.